This week (18th - 22nd November 2019) in our school, our annual LGBTI+ week took place. Our theme for the week was "Nobody would have toComeOut, if everybody chose to "Come In"". We have an inclusive school environment and pride ourselves on our support structures that connects staff and students.
Each morning in Assembly, students were given key messages by their Year Head. Some examples of these messages were:
- Being aware of our language we use in our school, especially in a joking way.
- Students were also reminded about our Anti-Bullying Poilcy and our safe space for students to visit at lunchtime.
- Students were also reminded that we have school Councillors on site, who are trained to listen and support all students.
- It is important to note that all staff members are your ally, we will always listen.
Other Wellbeing related events which took place this week included:
SPHE classes covered LGBTI+ topic.
LGBTI+ Flag flying at the front of the school
Come IN – banner displayed in front hall.
Pictures hung around the school of LGBTI+ Celebrities.
LGBTI+ Wall decorated with positive messages and information.
Staff wore in Rainbow colours into school on Thursday to raise awareness.
Face Painting Friday – students could get rainbows painted on their face at lunchtime.
Thank you to all teachers and students who took part in another very successful week.
SORA - Digital Library
SORA is a digital eBook and audio book lending library for JCSP/ DEIS schools.
Bush Post Primary School is delighted to be able to offer free access to this excellent resource to all of our staff and students. We hope to offer access to parents at a later date. We hope that this free membership will assist in the development of a reading culture across the whole school community.
How do I access the Digital Library?
Sora—The student reading app, by OverDrive provides the quickest and easiest way to get started with digital titles from the Digital Library.
You can simply log in using your unique ID Number and Password and instantly access thousands of eBooks and audiobooks on virtually any device.
Please click here for instructions on how to download the SORA app and access the digital library or access the digital library online at https://soraapp.com
What’s great in Sora:
- Easy access - simply find your school and log in using ID Number and Password
- Unified experience across devices and operating systems
- Simple, one-tap step to borrow and start reading
- Reading activity enhancements including notes, highlights, and improved definitions functionality
- Personalisation through achievements, assignments, and avatars
- Automatic syncing of loans, holds, notes, highlights, defined words, activity, and achievements across multiple devices
For tips and help on the Sora app see https://help.soraapp.com
The system is compatible with most devices (tablets, e-readers, smart phones, PCs, etc.).
For assistance on devices go to http://help.overdrive.com/#devices
Please note that the system does not work on Kindle “epaper” devices i.e. devices earlier than the Kindle Fire. This is a restriction imposed by Amazon.
Users can borrow up to 3 titles at a time. The default lending period is set at 21 days
You can place requests for items that are on loan and you can choose to have the available items automatically added to your account when they become available.
This will help identify titles that are in high demand – and additional copies can be purchased for the library. The library currently holds over 5,000 unique titles – with multiple copies of many of these. Additional titles are being added to the collection on an ongoing basis.
Members can also access a large range of free public domain ebooks through Project Gutenberg. These free ebooks are always available for simultaneous use by all users.